Graham Hollywood Supercharged

As an avid auto-enthusiast, I love getting the chance to work on rare classic cars. There’s something about getting your hands dirty with a piece of classic American design that’s just a lot of fun!

Recently I had the chance to work on such a car. A good client of mine called me about working on his Graham Hollywood Supercharged.

The Graham Hollywood was born out of a deal between Graham and Humpmobile that would allow Graham to build cars using Cord molds. The Hollywood was produced between 1940-1941 and it is estimated that roughly 1400 were ever made. Suffice it to say, the car is quite rare, and in my opinion, pretty darn cool.

I agreed to the job, loaded up what I’d need, and headed over to my client’s shop to get started. Here’s how the car looked when I arrived. Personally, I think it’s a very cool looking car. It definitely has a kind of style to it that has long been forgotten.

At a distance, the car appears to be in decent shape, however, upon closer inspection, the paint had major issues ranging from deep scratches and swirls to sanding scratches that were left over from the restoration’s painting process.

After inspecting the car, we jumped right in and went to work. We started by thoroughly washing the car and then worked on removing embedded contaminates from the paint. This left us with a smooth, dirt & grime free surface to work with.

After the paint had been prepped, I polished a test section on the car to figure out which products/techniques would yield the best results. Here is a half polished/half not polished shot showing the results of this process.

Now that we had the process dialed in, we set to work on the easily accessible areas of the car.

Everything was going well until we reached the passenger side front fender. A part of this fender had recently been repainted and had significantly more texture and orange peel than the rest of the car. To correct this, the area would need to be sanded flat.

After I was satisfied that the area in question would look as good as the rest of the car, it was time to get to work polishing the sanding scratches out. Removing the scratches required a more aggressive approach than what was used on the rest of the vehicle, but after a few polishing passes the paint was beginning to look flat and glossy again.

I thought these shots were kind of cool, so I had to throw them in here.

Once all the easily accessible areas of the car had been tended to, it was time to switch to a smaller polisher and work on the more intricate areas.

The small polisher worked very well, but we still had to hand-polish the areas where machines wouldn’t fit. It took three days of work, but we finally got the car finished up. Unfortunately, the weather conditions weren’t cooperating when we got done, so no shots of the car in direct sunlight; but believe me, we got the paint dialed in and this thing looks great!

Finished shots:

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. Feel free to contact us about any question or comments you may have at Remember, we can perform this same service on your car!